Each Foswiki web has an automatic e-mail notification service that sends you an e-mail with links to all of the topics modified since the last alert.
Users subscribe to email notifications using their WikiName or an alternative email address, and can specify the webs/topics they wish to track, Whole groups of users can also be subscribed for notification.
The general format of a subscription is:
Where subscriber can be a WikiName, an E-mail address, or a group name. If subscriber contains any characters that are not legal in an email address, then it must be enclosed in 'single' or "double" quotes.
topics is an optional space-separated list of topics:
Examples: Subscribe Daisy to all changes to topics in this web.
* firstname.lastname@example.orgSubscribe Daisy to all changes to topics that start with
* email@example.com : Web*Subscribe Daisy to changes to topics starting with
* DaisyCutter: Petal* (1) WeedKillers (3) Pretty*FlowersSubscribe StarTrekFan to changes to all topics that start with
* StarTrekFan: Star* - *Wars - *sInTheirEyes - *shipTroopersSubscribe Daisy to the full content of NewsLetter whenever it has changed
* firstname.lastname@example.org: NewsLetter?Subscribe buttercup to NewsLetter and its immediate children, even if it hasn't changed.
* email@example.com: NewsLetter! (1)Subscribe GardenGroup (which includes Petunia) to all changed topics under AllnewsLetters to a depth of 3. Then unsubscribe Petunia from the ManureNewsLetter, which she would normally get as a member of GardenGroup:
* GardenGroup: AllNewsLetters? (3) * firstname.lastname@example.org: - ManureNewsLetterSubscribe
* 'IT:admins' : Web*
A user may be listed many times in the WebNotify topic. Where a user has several lines in WebNotify that all match the same topic, they will only be notified about changes that topic once (though they will still receive individual mails for news topics).
If a group is listed for notification, the group will be recursively expanded to the e-mail addresses of all members.
__ Warning: Because an email address is not linked to a user name, there is no way for Foswiki to check access controls for subscribers identified by email addresses. A subscriber identified by an email address alone will only be sent change notifications if the topic they are subscribed to is readable by guest users. You can limit what email addresses can be used in %NOTIFYTOPIC%, or even block use of emails altogther, using the
Tip: List names in alphabetical order to make it easier to find the names.
Note for System Administrators: Notification is supported by an add-on to the Foswiki kernel called the MailerContrib. See the MailerContrib topic for details of how to set up this service.
Related topics: WebChangesAlert, WikiUsers, UserRegistration